Guru on tip needed

Stephen M. Deal deal at tempus.Kodak.COM
Thu Apr 18 01:35:44 AEST 1991

I tried comp.unix.questions, now I'll try the wizards.

I am trying to define a fairly painless way for users to dial out to a software vendor bbs from a Sun 4. I am using a US Robotics Courier V.32 in hayes mode.
I want to use tip because it is part of Unix and widely available.

I have defined the "system" in the /etc/remote file including the phone number.
The entry looks like this:

bbs:dv=/dev/cua0:br#9600:pn=5551212:\
        :el=^D^U^C^S^Q^O@:du:at=hayes:ie=#$%:oe=^D:

When I "tip" to the bbs (e.g. % tip bbs) the modem dials, connects, modulates and synchronizes and then I get:   call failed

and my modem promptly hangs up (drops the connection).

I can tip to that port and manually dial and connect without any problems
so I believe it has something to do with tip.

Any help would be appreciated.

  | Steve Deal	 	| Internet: deal at Kodak.COM		       |
  | Eastman Kodak Co.	| UUCP:     ...rutgers!rit!kodak!tempus!deal   |
  | Engr. Systems Div.	| Voice:    (716) 726 - 5396		       |
  | mailcode: 35108	| FAX:	    (716) 726 - 7406	               |
  | 901 Elmgrove Road	| 					       |
  | Rochester, NY	| 					       |
  | 	   14653-5108   |					       |

    Disclaimer:	"Everyone is entitled to an opinion,
		 the above is mine and not that of my employer."