UNIX v7 calling sched()

Chris Lewis clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
Sat Apr 20 08:48:32 AEST 1991

In article <7128 at segue.segue.com> jim at segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) writes:
>In article <4039 at risky.Convergent.COM> scottl at convergent.com (Scott Lurndal) writes:
>>I seem to recall a caveat in Lyons commentary to the effect of
>>   "you're not expected to understand this."

>That comment applied to the bizarro aretu stuff, which went away in V7.  As
>with so many things, it was hard to understand because it was badly written.
>There's nothing particularly hard to understand about save/resume or newproc.

I seem to remember that to be a reference to the scheduler algorithm itself,
and how it interacts with the swapping mechanisms.  The V6 scheduler was
pretty awful.  save/resume and newproc weren't that hard to understand by
themselves.
Chris Lewis, Phone: (613) 832-0541, Internet: clewis at ferret.ocunix.on.ca
UUCP: uunet!mitel!cunews!latour!ecicrl!clewis; Ferret Mailing List:
ferret-request at eci386; Psroff (not Adobe Transcript) enquiries:
psroff-request at eci386 or Canada 416-832-0541.  Psroff 3.0 in c.s.u soon!