Window system bashing (was Re: X11 bashing)

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA allbery at NCoast.ORG
Wed Apr 17 12:09:30 AEST 1991

As quoted from <97 at titccy.cc.titech.ac.jp> by mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta):
+---------------
| You have failed to suggest the other alternative: not to use any window
| system.
|
| I have been using character terminals for many years, because I don't
| think window system gives effecient developping environment. I often
| irretated to see someone using window system ineffeciently.
+---------------

Beg pardon, but window systems *do* help in efficient development.
However, I don't claim it must be GUI-based; MultiView and a screen clone I am
working on do a decent job.

+---------------
| Shared library is NO solution. It only moves complexity, unstability
| and ineffeciency of X to UNIX.
| With rationally small environment, like mine, shared library is of no
| use, which keeps UNIX simple.

With that argument, I bet you'd love to still be using v6 Unix....

Shared libraries *do* have a place in standard Unix.  And not just for
gigabyte GUIs... the standard C library is a shared library in V.3, which cuts
the size of the system down by quite a bit.  I assume this has been continued
into V.4.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA on 2m, 220, 440, 1200
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		(QRT on HF until local problems fixed)