sockets

paolo ciancarini ciancarini-paolo at cs.yale.edu
Mon Apr 22 09:53:01 AEST 1991

I would like to pass a socket from a process to another;
the two processes in general are unrelated
(they could even be on different machines, say sharing an NSF FS).

To be a little more concrete, I have a concurrent server
that uses a connection-oriented protocol
using the sequence: socket/bind/listen/accept/fork.
I have other processes, not created by the server, that would like to get
the particular socket obtained after accept.

So, is it possible to pass such a socket among unrelated processes?

Please answer by E-mail. I will summarize if there is any interest
(and any answer!).

Paolo Ciancarini