Trusting Everyone (was tty security)

Jerry Callen jcallen at Encore.COM
Tue Apr 30 05:53:24 AEST 1991

In article <564 at appserv.Eng.Sun.COM> lm at slovax.Eng.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
>I dunno, maybe I'm missing some important point, but it seems rather
>paranoid to me to worry about the people who have accounts on your
>machine.  You trusted them enough to give them an account, where did
>that trust go?

Ask anyone who's ever been a system administrator at a university where
the trust went.

Ask anyone who's ever seen a password taped to a terminal where the
trust went.

Ask anyone who's seen an X terminal left for the night with a window manager
still active where the trust went.

To assume that your users will never be foolish, lazy, misinformed or
malicious is to bury your head in the sand, big time. Geez, I'd be wrong
if I made such assumptions about myself! :-)

>Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627       ...!sun!lm or lm at sun.com

-- Jerry Callen
   jcallen at encore.com