WARNING !

Max Tardiveau root at NEXTSERVER.CS.STTHOMAS.EDU
Mon Apr 15 07:08:42 AEST 1991

mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu writes (about password security) :

> No, it's time to start thinking about it.  Now.  Not in five years,
> when anyone with access to one of the latest FrobozzCo64K-processor
> 2684TRX PLA machines can exhaust the space in a month,and find your
> password and mine much sooner than that.  Or when storage densities
> have improved to the point where one person can carry that monster
> lookup table I mentioned in a pocket. (64 bits times 2^56 passwords
> times 2^12 salts is 2^71 bytes.  That looks ridiculous.  Today.)
>

> der Mouse
>

> old: mcgill-vision!mouse
> new: mouse at larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

Well, I couldn't resist. Let's see. 2^71 is...
2,361,183,241,434,822,606,848, or (thanks to number(1)) :
two sextillion three hundred sixty one quintillion one hundred eighty
three quadrillion two hundred forty one trillion four hundred thirty
four billion eight hundred twenty two million six hundred six
thousand eight hundred forty eight.

A big hard disk is 1 billion bytes. A huge carousel is one trillion
bytes. This is nine orders of magnitude larger. We'll get there, but
not tomorrow, nor the day after.

In other words : Don't panic.

Max Tardiveau
Department of Computer Science