unix undelete ?????

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Fri Apr 26 08:15:28 AEST 1991

In article <26647 at adm.brl.mil>, X903%DMAFHT1.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu ( Marc Wachowitz) writes:
|> Undelete utility? Unneccessary. Just make "rm" an alias to a simple
|> program that moves your file to a designated directory, perhaps giving
|> a unique name to it and recording the association between the original
|> name (including path) in a log file; including the date of "deletion".
|> Implementation is trivial and
|> left to the interested reader :-)

  Implementation is very trivial, because it has already been done.  See the
"delete" package in comp.sources.misc.  My implementation differs from yours
-- deleted files are kept in the current directory, rather than in a temporary
directory, and no log files are kept.  We considered the implementation you
describe when designing the program, but it is not appropriate in a
distributed computing environment and in a program that wants to be robust.

  If you want something simpler than "delete", there are several other
programs in the comp.sources.unix archives to do recoverable rm's.

  Note the Followup-To; the discussion of how to write user-level undelete
programs isn't a wizardly topic, even though the discussion of modifying Unix
so that it allows undeletion might be.

--
Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace