Altos 586 using a 2400b Modem

Jeff Smith jeffs at bcs800.UUCP
Wed Apr 17 01:37:55 AEST 1991

In <233 at willow.MV.COM> shawn at willow.MV.COM (Shawn M. Rogers) writes:

>    disable tty6
>    /etc/modem tty6
>    enable tty6

>The Problem:  The modem is not answering the phone, so I cannot get a login.
>The type of modem being used is just your basic 2400 Hayes compatible type
>modem.  The cable I'm using was made using the pinouts in the manual.

I have had similar problems running a modem from my altos 486.  The
ports didn't need any pins changed, but a null modem adapter on a regular
terminal port (2-5) is all it took.  after connecting the modem on the
port, (tty5 for me) with the null modem adapter, run pconfig and tell it
that it has a modem on the line at 2400.  pconfig will put /etc/modem
tty5 in the /etc/rc file and will enable the port (actually all the ports ;-<)
when you leave pconfig.  the modem seems to work fine with that setup.
I did have some problems though after a while, the modem stopped answering
the phone.  It picked up, but immediately hung up the phone.  I changed
to always having dcd hi on the line and it seemed to work alright.

hope this helps!
jeffs
--
Jeff Smith               | #include <stdDisclaimer.h>
Brock Control Systems    | uucp: ...!gatech!emory!bcs800!jeffs
                         | internet: jeffs%bcs800.uucp at mathcs.emory.edu
tel: +800 444 3070       | -All my life I said I wanted to be someone...