The switch to daylight savings time

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Sat Apr 13 06:52:05 AEST 1991

In article <5776 at vela.acs.oakland.edu> srodawa at vela.acs.oakland.edu (Ron Srodawa) writes:
> I too have an EST->EDT tale of woe.  I'm running Xenix/386 2.3.3.  Last
> year it did the correct changes all by itself.  This year, I have TCP/IP
> and I'm running timed, the network time daemon.  Xenix advanced the time
> TWO HOURS!  Any ideas about that one?

Xenix doesn't advance the time. It just changes the way time is displayed.

Theory: Your timed is apparently picking up the time from some place that has
the time advanced, converting it to UNIX time without knowing that you
switched to DST, and then setting your clock. Other programs that know it's
DST are then adding the hour as well.

Solution: kill timed and restart it.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com