c-news install, tty01, and Tandy 3000 Xenix

Curt J. Sampson curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca
Sat Apr 6 05:31:55 AEST 1991

In article <910TZ2w164w at techsys.uucp>
berk at techsys.uucp (techsys consulting) writes:

> ...Tandy 3000 SYSV/286.
> ...C-NEWS - keeps core dumping in the make
> doit.bin, and I can't find why.
>
> If someone could e-mail a proto build.def that might work,
> or any info on unquirking Xenix, I'd be SO grateful.

I had the same thing happen on my SCO Xenix 286 2.3.2.  It turns out
that build creates doit.bin like this:

	( many lines of stuff ) >doit.bin

The shell barfs on that much stuff in parentheses (to make a subshell)
and dumps core.  The solution is simple.  Just split it so that it
looks like this:

	( about half the stuff ) >doit.bin
	( the other half ) >>doit.bin

Other things you will want to watch out for:

  - most everything will compile fine in small model, but make sure
    that you give cc/ld the -i flag to split the I&D or a few programs
    won't work.

  - expire needs to be compiled under large model to work.  After
    you've compiled the whole thing, you will have to recompile the
    libraries as large model and then recompile expire as large model.

I've got cnews working just fine on my system now.  Anybody who wants
advice can feel free to send me mail.

cjs
--
curt at cynic.uucp         | all systems in the network is not known anywhere."