SCO response to the problem of daylight savings time

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Fri Apr 12 02:05:36 AEST 1991

In article <15 at phlpa.UUCP> scott at phlpa.UUCP (Scott Scheingold) writes:
> The problem is with the source code to cron. He told me that
> when cron is started it then resets itself and counts how many
> seconds that it will be until the next time it will run again.
> It does not read the clock except for the first time that you
> bring up the system.

Unless SCO is running a totally bogus implementation of UNIX, this
is exactly incorrect. The system time should not change when DST comes
in or out... it stays GMT (or UT0, if you prefer). Instead, the
interpretation of the time zone is changed either by the kernel's dst
flag, tables compiled into "ctime" and "localtime", or by changing the
TZ environment variable if the above two techniques fail.

I surely hope SCO doesn't actually plan on changing to "Greenwich Daylight
Time". I suspect that the SCO tech guy was confused or having problems
communicating.

Just shut down cron and restart it. No problemo.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com