Altos 586 using a 2400b Modem

Shawn M. Rogers shawn at willow.MV.COM
Sun Apr 14 03:13:52 AEST 1991

Hi,

I've got a client using an Altos 586.  I would like to provide support
via modem since their site is somewhat far away.  The machine has 1
port available (tty6).

According to the manual, the jumpers at location E-17 on the motherboard must
be changed from 4-6, 1-3 to 3-4, 5-6.  I made this change.  I then ran
'pconfig' and configured tty6 as a 2400 baud modem port.  The manual says that
the following command must be issued by root, which I did:

    disable tty6
    /etc/modem tty6
    enable tty6

The Problem:  The modem is not answering the phone, so I cannot get a login.
The type of modem being used is just your basic 2400 Hayes compatible type
modem.  The cable I'm using was made using the pinouts in the manual.

Any help getting this thing working would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!