Altos 586 using a 2400b Modem

Scott Scheingold scott at phlpa.UUCP
Mon Apr 15 10:26:58 AEST 1991

In article <233 at willow.MV.COM>, shawn at willow.MV.COM (Shawn M. Rogers) writes:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a client using an Altos 586.  I would like to provide support
> via modem since their site is somewhat far away.  The machine has 1
> port available (tty6).
>
> According to the manual, the jumpers at location E-17 on the motherboard must
> be changed from 4-6, 1-3 to 3-4, 5-6.  I made this change.  I then ran
> 'pconfig' and configured tty6 as a 2400 baud modem port.  The manual says that
> the following command must be issued by root, which I did:
>
>     disable tty6
>     /etc/modem tty6
>     enable tty6
>

> The Problem:  The modem is not answering the phone, so I cannot get a login.
> The type of modem being used is just your basic 2400 Hayes compatible type
> modem.  The cable I'm using was made using the pinouts in the manual.
>
> Any help getting this thing working would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

	When I installed SCO UNIX SYS V/386 Rel 3.2.2 I had to tell
the modem to answer the phone by issueing some of the hayes commands.
I will list them here as they appear in my sysadm manual.

	AT&F		Fetches factory configuration
	ATT		is Tone dialing
	ATL0		is low speaker volume
	AT&D2		sets DTR "2": goes on hook when DTR drops
	AT&C1		Sets carrier detect (CD) to "1"
	ATS0=1		Answers the phone after 1 ring
	ATS2=128	disables the modem escape sequence
	ATE0		does not echo
	ATQ1		in quiet mode (does not answer with OK after this command)
	AT&W		Stores your settings in no volitle memory

Now I cannot garentee that this will work for your system but this was
neede to make my modem work with the operating system. I belive that
all that you are doing with the enable command is setting up a getty
process to expect a login on that line (tty6). I have no idea what the
command is '/ect/modem'. If you store these settings in nonvolitle memory
with the modem and it does not work then all you have to do is
issue the command AT&F and AT&W and it will erase the configuration
that you just put in.

Please remember that this worked for **MY** modem. It may not work for
yours. I have a viva modem 24 external. Please check the modem manual
against the setting that where explained above.

hope this helps.

Scott