The swich with dailight savings time

Chris Linstruth chris at ukelele.UUCP
Thu Apr 11 10:29:30 AEST 1991

pinkas at st860.intel.com (Israel Pinkas) writes:

>In article <9 at phlpa.UUCP> scott at phlpa.UUCP (Scott Scheingold) writes:
>
>> I have noticed that some of my cron jobs are running an hour later
>> than they are normally run. Example uucp.cleanup is supposed to
>> .. stuff deleted ..
>> run at a specific time. My next question would be when we switch
>> back to EST will this become a problem once again.
>
>This problem is a basic result of the PC style architecture.  (However,
>AT&T could have solved this in software.)
>
>The PC architecture's battery powered clock stores the date and time (year,
>month, day, hours, minutes, seconds).  Most other architectures just have a
>counter that counts seconds or clock ticks.
>
>... makes some valuable suggestions ...

I dealt with this problem by setting the hardware clock to GMT and
setting the system clock at boot time with:
:
#  @(#)bsetdate.sh	1.1
TZ=GMT0;export TZ
date `/etc/setup -d` > /dev/null
. /etc/TIMEZONE
echo "System time: \c"
date

setup -d outputs the CMOS clock setting in a date(1) parsable format.

This is on uPort V/AT and Daylight to Standard time switches have been
automatic and effortless for two years.  cron even seems to be executing
jobs at the appropriate times.

--
Chris Linstruth              ____   ___          The Genuine Aloha Ukelele
chris at ukelele.UUCP          /    \_/   \______OO    (703) 960-8428 * 4