backup program for xenix?

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.uucp
Thu Feb 21 01:50:08 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb19.154228.6510 at robobar.co.uk> ronald at robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) writes:
>bill at bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) writes:

>> As to floppy errors, use good quality floppies, and backup often.
>> You could also re-read the floppies to make sure they were okay.

>But don't re-read them using tar tv2 because that *seeks* and thus
>does not re-read all the data.  Do tar tvf - < /dev/install (or whatever)
>instead.

 Absolutely.  There was a program called cktar on the net a few months ago.
 It gets the names from the tar device looks in the directory for a
 matching name, and then does a byte by byte compare.

It also is supposed to report for problems  matching UID's, GID's, and time
of modification difference, and will give a position in the file where the
comparison failed.  I don't know if those work because I run the check
after backing up so none of those have changed.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP