Altos 500

Lee Hauser lsh at polari.UUCP
Wed Jan 16 08:09:31 AEST 1991

I'm not sure where else to post this, so if this is not the right
group please let me know...

Through a bankruptcy settlement the law firm I work for has received a
used Altos-500 system with 5 terminals.  It has Altos System V/386 on a
root diskette and utilities on a 60mb tape cartridge.  We can start
the system from the diskette and perform hard disk partitioning, and
the system appears to be putting the file system and system files on
the hard disk -- but nothing we can do will make the system actually
boot from the hard disk, only the root diskette.  In fact, the install
procedure tells us everything has gone fine, but no reboot.

We are going to try to resell this system, though it has no
applications at all, but I'm mystified about this problem.  I'm a
beginner at Unix/Xenix but am pretty familiar with DOS systems and
hardware in general.  Can anyone give me some hints?  Mail is
welcome...
--
                  uw-beaver!sumax!polari!lsh -- lsh at polari