Info on Altos 886 Needed

Curt Sampson curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca
Tue Jan 22 10:51:46 AEST 1991

I need some information on Altos 886 systems, as I have an option to buy
one.  It is an 80286 system with 1 MB of RAM, an 80 MB hard drive, a 60
MB tape drive, a 720K floppy, 9 serial ports and Xenix.  It's apparently
about 5 years old.

My questions are as follows:

  o How hard would it be to get C News and rn up and running under Altos
    (Microsoft) Xenix?

  o How dissimilar is that version of Xenix from other versions of UNIX
    (System V, BSD, SCO Xenix, etc.)

  o Apparently I can put up to 3 MB of memory in it.  Is this true?
    What kind of memory do I need?  How much would it likely cost?

  o Are there any other things I should know before I purchase?

Thanks for any help.

cjs
curt at cynic.wimsey.bc.ca          | "What do the letters in EBCDIC stand for?"
curt at cynic.uucp                  | "ASCII. 'ASCII' becomes 'EBCDIC' in the
{uunet|ubc-cs}!van-bc!cynic!curt |  EBCDIC character set."  --Steve Connelly