MicroPort Unix SysV/AT / MSDOS Partition Activation

Sal Quintanilla sal at pacdata.uucp
Sat Jun 29 01:54:59 AEST 1991

I inherited MicroPort SYSTEM V/AT, version 1.3.  It had the runtime,
developemnt, and text formatting volumes, and they were complete,
with the exception of runtime Chapter 2, Installation.

The installation in itself was not a problem, and the system looked
great.  I rebooted the computer with a DOS (v3.3) disk, formatted the
DOS partition, and made it active, and that also went fine.
Unfortunately, I hit a snag.

I wanted to boot back to UNIX.  When I was using IBM Xenix 2.0 (please,
no "Move to the '90s" flames... I've got Sco Xenix 386, but it's going
to be awhile before I get a 386), I would simply use fdisk to change the
active partition.  However, when I attempted to do this with the
MicroPort package, fdisk saw the UNIX partitions as extended DOS
partitions, and wouldn't allow me to make them active.

I am able to boot off the UNIX boot disk, and run V/AT fdisk to change
the active partition.  The problem is, this is suppose to end up being
a diskless station, so I'm not going to have this option.

Finally, here come the questions.  In IBM Xenix 2.0, when the system
first comes on, one of the options available is "dos"; that is, you
type dos at the prompt, and it activates the DOS partition (I chose
the fdisk method just for convenience, as I would either use Xenix for
days, or DOS for days).  Is there such a command for MicroPort's UNIX?
Again, I'm missing Chapter 2 (Installation), and I haven't found
anything about it in the rest of the manual, hence my asking here.

If there is no such option, does anyone know of a DOS program which
will let me activate the MicroPort UNIX partition (or any partition)?
DiskManager and Disk Technician both saw only and extended DOS
partition and wouldn't allow me to activate it.

I'm hoping someone out there has dealt with something like this
before.  With what I've seen from the MicroPort package, I'd hate to
have to go back to Xenix.

Thanks.
Sal