How to access U area from proc table

randy kunkee kunkee at ficc.ferranti.com
Sat Jun 15 04:42:31 AEST 1991

I have Intel Xenix 3.5, which is basically a modified system III kernal
running on 80286 mode.

I'm trying to write a program which will allow me to access the u area
for every process running on the system, but there seems to be some
magic going on.

I expected the ADDR field of ps -l to point directly to the U area, but
it does not.  Apparently it points to a 7 to 9 byte structure which
then points to the U area.  This is small structure is what is referenced
by proc.p_caddr.

Can anybody tell me how to convert this into the actual address of the
U area?  Then, can you tell me how to convert that into an offset in
/dev/mem?
--
Randy Kunkee
Ferranti International Controls Corporation
INTERNET: kunkee at ficc.ferranti.com