shutdown(8) Versus haltsys(8)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.ferranti.com
Wed Mar 27 06:20:49 AEST 1991

IBM Xenix 1.0 is, I believe, based on Sustem III.

In article <1991Mar25.143633.16845 at convex.com> andy at piziali.lonestar.org (Andy Piziali) writes:
> haltsys immediately sync's the disks and halts the system.  shutdown, which
> requires an integer time argument (in minutes), takes a while to terminate the
> OS even when the value zero is specified.

Haltsys syncs the disks and shuts down the system (note, though, that it
may not actually complete the sync: a sync returns immediately... it does
not wait for all the writes to complete). Shutdown kills all interactive
sessions other than the console, disable all logins, unmounts each file
system individually, makes sure that everything is tidy, and then executes
haltsys.

It's sort of like checking all the doors and windows before you go out.
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter at ferranti.com