uucp via tcp/ip

Sabita Nagarajan sabi at brahms.udel.edu
Fri May 24 10:59:15 AEST 1991

Hello.

Several recent messages have appeared, indicating that people are having
difficulty in getting a TCP/IP link using HDB uucp.  I am also having
considerable trouble with this.  Here are the particulars:

SCO xenix 2.3.2 running on my_machine and their_machine

My Systems file entry looks like this:

#Site          Sched  Device  Speed    Phone       Chatscript
Their_machine  Any    TCPIP   9600     -           "" \r ogin: uucp

My Devices file entry looks like this:

#Devicetype  Ttyline  Dialerline  Speed  Dialer  [Token  Dialer  Token..]
TCPIP        ttyT32   -           9600   direct

Using uucico to test the connection as follows:

/usr/lib/uucp/uucico -r1 -stheir_machine -x6

Gives this result:

mchFind called (their_machine)
fillFlds: entered
fillFlds: returning
chdir(/usr/spool/uucp/their_machine)
conn(their_machine)
Device Type TCPIP wanted
mlock ttyT32 succeeded
fixline(5, 9600)
getto ret 5
expect: ("")
got it
sendthem (^M^M)
expect: (ogin:)
^M^J^L^Jmy_machine!login:got it
sendthem (uucp^M)
ISTRIP cleared
WRONG MACHINE NAME - failed
exit code 101
Conversation Complete: Status FAILED

As you can see, I'm getting a login to my own machine!  Any idea of what I'm
doing wrong?  My first thought was of a problem in the /etc/hosts file, which
looks like this:

# Hosts File Created Tue Aug  1 17:14:55 EDT 1989
127.0.0.0    loopback lb
89.0.0.0    broadcast
89.0.0.2    newark localhost
# should look similiar to the following:
89.0.0.3 their_machine
89.0.0.4 other_machine
89.0.0.5 still_another_machine

I can't see a problem with this.  Any help would be appreciated.

Michael Flanagan                                 sabi at brahms.udel.uucp
(302) 454-7916