Need assistance with afio problem.

Michael E. Haws michael at yonder.UUCP
Tue May 28 08:42:34 AEST 1991

In article <29927 at hydra.gatech.EDU>, ken at dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
> In article <447 at yonder.UUCP> michael at yonder.UUCP (Michael E. Haws) writes:
> >
> >It is my impression that you are suggesting that I never keep compressed
> >data on my hard disk, since this data would be subject to the same
> >potential problem when trying to recover it from a tape archive.  Or have
> >I missed something?
> >

> Single and multi-bit media errors are several orders of
> magnatude more likely on tapes than on hard disks.
> the figures are something like 1 bit in 10^7
> for tape media and 1 bit in 10^9 for hard disks.
> Obviously there is some risk for both media, but the risk
> is vastly smaller for hard disks.

Agreed, but the point I was trying to make was that when the compressed file
from the hard disk is now backed up to tape the chances of recovering
it are no better(or worse) than the file compressed during the
backup process.

Since I was told that it was not safe to compress files during backup, I
assumed that already compressed files would be just as susceptible to
non-recoverability(is that a word?) from a tape archive.

--
Michael E. Haws             "Keep the blue side up"          w - (303) 986-2370
boulder!yonder!michael                                       h - (303) 232-0628
michael%yonder at csn.org