X11R4 binaries for SCO XENIX now available!!!

Kevin Lee Weller kevin at sugar.hackercorp.com
Mon May 27 13:52:12 AEST 1991

It's here!  Sorry it took me so long, but I was out of a connection with the
whole world for a couple of weeks.

I have just confirmed the availability of my X11R4 binaries.  Here is how to
get them: ftp to wuarchive.wustl.edu, cd /packages/X.V11R4/xenix, and get
everything there.  It's about 13 megs of compressed cpio archive (split into
25 parts).  See the file UNPACKING (separately ftp-able) for instructions on
extracting the archive.  Below are listed the complete contents of the file:
=== full copy of UNPACKING ===================================================
INSTRUCTIONS FOR UNPACKING THE 386/XENIX X11R4 ARCHIVE

First, download all the files (of course :-) ... they are segments of a
compressed cpio archive.

To extract the archive, be root and enter the following command:

cat X11R4x5.cpio.Z? X11R4x5.cpio.Z?? | uncompress | cpio -idvam

Most of the X11R4 files will be installed automatically.  Additionally, you
will find a subdirectory off of the current directory called X11R4.  It
contains more files for you to install manually, further installation
instructions, and a cursory introduction to X usage.

-- K. L. Weller
05/13/91

Here is a portion of the README file (in the archive itself), copied here so
you'll know what the hardware and software prerequisites are before attempting
to download it all:
=== from README ==============================================================
For this compiled X distribution to work, you must have no less than
an 80386 PC (a '486 will probably do well, too, though I have no way
of testing that) running SCO 386/XENIX System V.  My OS version is
2.3.3, so if yours is different, there may be problems.  You should be
using a "standard" VGA card; I know Paradise cards will work since I
have one, and probably several other types will work as well.  It's
recommended that you have at least 8 megs of RAM; I hear that less
will lead to some awful thrashing.  I have 8 megs and have no paging
problems.  You also need enough disk space (of course) to store the
entire distribution with room for growth to satisfy yourself.  If you
have successfully downloaded and unpacked my archive, then you
probably have enough space for now.  If it's a tight squeeze, consider
either getting more disk space or not using X.  Note that more stuff
stored means larger file system backups, too.  You will need a mouse
with at least three buttons.  I use a Logitech C9 bus mouse with no
problems.

This binary distribution assumes you'll be emulating sockets.  If you
want real sockets and networking, you'll have to download the X
sources, MIT patches, and Chain Lee's patches, and compile X yourself.
I don't have the TCP/IP files to compile for networking; sorry.

You must have already installed Chain Lee's socket emulation package
into the kernel.  If you don't have the emulation package, read
X11R4/SOCKET_INFO for instructions to get it.

I think that covers the hardware and software dependencies.  You
should know to expect 640x480 monochrome mode operation from the
server, at least for the current version.  I'm working on getting a
color server, but it may not happen soon, and it may never happen.
I'll keep you all apprised through comp.unix.xenix.sco.

I have included some extra goodies not in the core MIT distribution.
I've compiled some contributed clients, and I have assembled the
Hewlett-Packard widget set.  I've also built a good TWM menu tree,
created many additional icons (e.g., for xmag, shell, root shell,
clipboard, word, font browser, etc.), and linked existing icons to
most clients.  Also, check out the additional manual pages in the
LOCAL section; they're for the pbmplus utility set.

internet: n025fc at tamuts.tamu.edu                |  aTm  |  GIG 'EM, AGGIES!  |
CIS:      73327,1447  (but I rarely log on)     \-------+--------------------/