Mcvert problems

Stuart M Castergine scasterg at magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Fri May 10 12:38:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991May9.023803.3406 at contact.uucp> jkirsh at contact.uucp (Joel Kirsh) writes:

>First of all, my thanks to all those who replied suggesting that we get
>mcvert to handle all those files on comp.binaries.mac.
>
>Now the problem(s) begin:
>mcvert runs without complaint, but the verbose output tells me that:
>
>Converting     CassetteLa                     type = "    ", author = "    "
>
>it hasn't picked up the type or author information from the binhex'd
>file.  Needless to say, when one downloads such an orphan from the
>'frame to the Mac, the MacOS doesn't know what kind of file it is.
>
>Again, help/suggestions by Email appreciated.
>
>Joel

There is a program called macbinfilt that does a serviceable job of
compiling comp.binaries.mac segments into complete .hqx files, which I
then process with mcvert.

It is available from sumex-aim.stanford.edu in the info-mac/unix
directory. Unfortunately, it is not available under it's own name. It
is included as a "bonus" in some other package. Even more
unfortunately, I can't remember which package! Try unsit.shar and
sit.shar. Might be in one of those. If those don't work, keep trying,
it's in one of those .shar files. Honest!

How it works is, it takes stdin or a filename (reg exp supported) and
sends the converted output to stdout.

I usually save my files off c.b.m as, for example, prettyc1 prettyc2
prettyc3 prettyc4, etc., then I use the following syntax:

macbinfilt prettyc* > prettyc.hqx

I've occasionally had it choke on a reg. expression when it didn't
think I sequenced the fil  sproperly. In those cases it has rapidly
created monster files that consume my entire disk space allotment.

I just sigh, ctrl-c, and rm.

It did that with me for prettyc because I named the first file just
"prettyc" instead of "prettyc1"

In cases where the names aren't sequenced correctly, just list them one
after the other like you would for cat:

macbinfilt prettyc prettyc2 prettyc3 prettyc4 > prettyc.hqx

Hope this was helpful to someone.
--
scasterg at magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu	Stuart M Castergine
	"Don't take life too seriously. You'll never get out alive."