Using a SCSI tape drive

Jean-Pierre Radley jpr at jpradley.jpr.com
Mon Dec 10 07:40:24 AEST 1990

In article <77287 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> huntley at copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Haydn Huntley) writes:
>In article <1990Dec09.073155.10343 at jpradley.jpr.com> jpr at jpradley.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>| In article <77205 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> huntley at copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Haydn Huntley) writes:
>| >Does anyone know how to use a SCSI tape drive with SCO Xenix 386 or
>| >any other version of SCO Xenix?  I need to know what the device name
>| >is (ie: /dev/rct), and it's major and minor device numbers (which ls
>| >-l would tell).  I'm stuck!  Can anyone help?
>|
>| Any reason you couldn't just run "/etc/mkdev tape" and follow the menu
>| prompts?
>
>When I run "mkdev tape" it doesn't have an option for adding a SCSI
>tape drive!

I don't know what version of SCO Xenix you have, since you didn't mention, but
I have 2.3.2, and the script for sure have a choice #4 under Install, which
reads SCSI.

Unless it's because I started out with 2.2.4, and got the GT upgrade, which is
designed to work with SCSI. If your version of the kernel doesn't have the SCSI
drivers, defining a device is the least of your problems.

--

 Jean-Pierre Radley	    NYC Public Unix	jpr at jpr.com	CIS: 72160,1341