how do you determine end of tape? (floppy)

Jay A. Konigsberg jak at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US
Wed Dec 12 14:26:11 AEST 1990

In article <79 at gdx.UUCP> jay at gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:

> the tar that comes with SCO xenix knows when I gets to the end of a
> floppy, and then prompts for another.  Does anyone out there know how
> this is done?  I want to write a program that I can pipe the output of
> a program through so that I can write multiple floppies worth of data
> to foppies.

The file /etc/default/tar tells tar how big the media is. You can
specify it yourself. This will work for a 20MB tape:

tar cvfbk /dev/rct0 20 61440 /usr /u

c - collect data
v - verbose (display file names)
f - specify archive file (tape drive here)
b - blocking factor (typically 10, 18, or 20)
k - kbytes (1024 * 60)