Any UUCP gurus out there?

Hi Ho Silver silver at xrtll.uucp
Sun Dec 30 05:47:14 AEST 1990

   I posted a few days ago about a problem I was having getting uucp to
work on my Xenix box.  What was happening was that I could send files
from my machine to the host (also a Xenix box), but that I could not
receive any files.  What was happening was that uucico would create its
TM.<pid>.nnn file, then sit there doing nothing.  The host would send a
packet every ten seconds or so.  When running it from uutry, it would
report "alarm 1", "alarm2", roughly in tempo with the packets being sent.
After about ten alarm messages, it would disconnect.

   I then discovered that if I queued up some work to send to the host,
I could receive files.  This worked for a couple of days, with one or
two burps.  I had some nice simple shell scripts that would send a mail
message back to my own machine, passing it through the host first, and
this seemed to get uucico working again.

   But last night it stopped working, and I'm back to the same old problem.
I got the sysop to remove the "offending" message from the queue, in
case it had any control strings that were messing up uucico.  I looked
at all of the files involved, and none of them had control characters in
them.  I tried it again, and it's still not working.

   My setup is such that I have to poll the host; the reverse is not in
the least bit practical.  I've run uucheck -v and it reports nothing
unusual.  I've relaxed the access permissions on everything in the
/usr/spool/uucp hierarchy.  I've changed the uudemon.clean so that it
doesn't remove empty directories on me.  The sysop on the host side has
checked over his setup and reports that it's identical to the way he has
other people, who have fully functional uucp connections, set up.  I
very much doubt it's a flow control problem; a 22 MHz 386 should be able
to handle a 2400 bps modem easily enough.  The modem's connected directly
to the first serial port, so it isn't a problem with an intelligent
multiport board.  I use the same modem, same serial port, same computer
with communications software under DOS all the time and it works fine.

   I'm going to try getting a connection to a machine of a different
architecture, running an entirely different Unix, and see if it works
there; for all I know, it could be a bug in the Xenix uucico.

   If anyone has any suggestions on this, I'd really appreciate hearing
them.  Followups are OK, though I'd prefer email replies since I won't
have much time for news once the new year rolls around.
--
 __            __  _  | ...!nexus.yorku.edu!xrtll!silver |  always