SCO Open DeskTop installation problems

Ralph Callaway rwc at mhinfo.UUCP
Thu Dec 6 05:36:14 AEST 1990

Hello netlanders.  This is probably not the correct location
but I thought I would post it here anyway.  We just recieved
Open DeskTop and have had some problems installing the mouse
and DOS...  The following is information on the problems that
we are having.  If anyone knows the answers to these pressing
questions, I would greatly appreciate some help...  Otherwise,
I will continue to play and learn...

We are having two problems with the installation of Open DeskTop.

System Configuration:

CompuAdd 386 25Mhz
     16MB Memory
     Paradise 16bit VGA
     Logitech Serial Mouse
     2 IDE drives
          Master - Connor 220MB
          Slave - Seagate 110MB
     3Com 3C503 ethernet card

1) Problem # 1 is with the Logitech Mouse.  The mouse is exactly the mouse
described in the release notes.  Both before and after
making the documented changes, the mouse still does not perform
correctly.  Before making the changes, any mouse movement would
send the pointer to the left hand margin with the capability to
move up and down.  After making the documentated changes, any
mouse movement would send the pointer to the bottom margin with
the capability to move left and right.

2) Problem # 2 is recognizing the Slave disk drive.  We have had
some trouble with defining a DOS partition.  The solution that we
would like to work with is the following:
     Master drive (Connor 220MB) would be dedicated 100% for
     Open DeskTop.  The Slave drive (Seagate 110MB) would be
     dedicated 100% for DOS.  We would boot the DOS drive via
     floppy, and boot Open DeskTop directly (no floppy).  How
     do we configure the DOS drive into Open DeskTop.  We have
     not run MAKEDEV or fdisk or any other utility.  The
     documentation is unclear as to the steps required to bring
     in DOS from a second drive.  Please outline the steps
     required.  We have read about the incompatiblity with DOS
     4.0 extended partitions, but all the documentation seems
     to point to incompatibilities with DOS and Unix on the
     same drive.  We can easily change the configuration of
     the DOS drive to 4 partitions less than 32MB each if this
     is required.  If this is true, please provide instructions
     on what Open DeskTop requires for installation of all four
     DOS partitions.

Additional information for problem # 1

- partial listing of /usr/lib/event/ttys
tty01 mousel4
tty02 mousel4
tty03 mousel4
tty04 mousel4
tty05 mousel4
tty06 mousel4
tty07 mousel4
tty08 mousel4
tty09 mousel4
tty10 mousel4
tty11 mousel4
tty12 mousel4
tty1a
tty2a
syscon mousel4
- partial listing of /usr/lib/event/devices
# the frist line that is not commented out is:
mousel4 /dev/tty1a RELb lt4_serial \
     NAME="Logitech serial mouse: Mouse Systems emulation mode(4)" \
     INIT="*nNU" STTY="CS8 1200 -IXOFF" Sensitivity=2000
# all other logitech mouses are commented out with a # at the beginning
# of each new line
- steps taken to get where we are currently
     1) Globaly changed mousel5 to mousel4 (indicated by file above)
     2) Do not believe that documentation is correct
        The file /usr/lib/event/devices does not start
        with a space on the line defining mousel4, it
        starts with a #.  Assumed that the whole definition
        for mousel4 should be uncommented and that the
        definition should start in column # 1.  In addition,
        commented out mousel5 (modifications show in file above)
     3) mkdev mouse
     4) relink kernal
     5) reboot

Ralph Callaway