Xenix cc is broken

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Wed Dec 12 00:50:47 AEST 1990

  I've just been bitten by Xenix cc. Not the compiler, the stupid
non-standard, "we have a better way," cc command. It seems the -o option
doesn't work for compiles.

  That is, the standard, portable, works everywhere else makefile lines:
	cc -o diddle1.o -DFRACK diddle.c
	cc -o diddle2.o -DFRUKE diddle.c
don't produce two object files from the same source, they produce one
object file with the wrong name, and a bunch of link errors.

  SCO has a fix: rewrite the makefile to rename every file after you
generate it with the wrong name. And it's documented to work that way,
so it's not an error. They also say that it can't be named anything.o,
but produce no error when it is, just silently do something else.

  I just did an all night 'make' and had the link blow up. Now I can
rewrite the makefile, all 1400 lines, and do it over. Sharp.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
    VMS is a text-only adventure game. If you win you can use unix.