Problem with vi screen updates

Bob Celmer bob at rscsys.UUCP
Sat Dec 1 06:59:15 AEST 1990

Hello everyone -

Sorry about the repost, but soon after I last posted this, we started
having trouble with our news feed.  Now that it's settled down...

I am using SCO Xenix 2.3.2 on a 386 box.  When using vi, if I hold down an
arrow key to space through a file, eventually the terminal will beep, and
from that point on I get improper screen updates.  For example, if I type
"x" to delete a character, the character is properly removed from the file,
but the screen shows that <two> characters were deleted.  If I insert a
character into an existing line, the character to the right of the cursor
is doubled upon every entry; i.e. if I insert an "r" into the word "tunstile"
the screen will display "turnnstile".  If I delete a line, the display shows
that <two> lines were deleted.  Constantly hitting a "z" to redraw the screen
is extremely annoying.  Is there anything I can do to reset vi (or the
terminal?) in this regard?  Currently the only solution seems to be rebooting
the system.

Thanks.

--
Bob Celmer
UUCP: {fedeva,chromc}!dynasys!rscsys!bob