Using a SCSI tape drive

Haydn Huntley huntley at copper.ucs.indiana.edu
Mon Dec 10 00:46:51 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec09.073155.10343 at jpradley.jpr.com> jpr at jpradley.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
| In article <77205 at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> huntley at copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Haydn Huntley) writes:
| >Does anyone know how to use a SCSI tape drive with SCO Xenix 386 or
| >any other version of SCO Xenix?  I need to know what the device name
| >is (ie: /dev/rct), and it's major and minor device numbers (which ls
| >-l would tell).  I'm stuck!  Can anyone help?
|
| Any reason you couldn't just run "/etc/mkdev tape" and follow the menu
| prompts?
| --
|
|  Jean-Pierre Radley	    NYC Public Unix	jpr at jpr.com	CIS: 72160,1341

When I run "mkdev tape" it doesn't have an option for adding a SCSI
tape drive!  On page A-35 of the release notes it says, "Use mkdev
tape to add a tapedrive to the system, SCSI or any other type."
However, when I run "mkdev tape" it has options for adding cartridge
tapes, mini-cartridges, and QIC drives, but not for SCSI tape drives!
It has an option for removing the SCSI tape drive, and like a
stupidino I tried that (hoping that afterward it would allow me to add
the SCSI tape drive), but it didn't give me anymore options afterward.
The SCSI hard disk drivers and device names seem to be there already.
I think I only need to get the correct information to use "mknod" to
create the special device file in /dev, and then I'll be in
business...  That's why I'm trying to find the usual device name, and
the correct major and minor device numbers.

Thanks for asking!

;;  *  Haydn Huntley    huntley at copper.ucs.indiana.edu  *