need help putting a xenix node on a novell network

Chris Hapgood cch0241 at smarine.UUCP
Sat Dec 1 05:51:04 AEST 1990

In article <WBADER.90Nov29214755 at islsun1.mse.lehigh.edu> wbader at islsun1.mse.lehigh.edu (William Bader X84508) writes:
>I need help configuring a unix network.
>
>We have a database program that runs under unix and msdos.  The msdos
>version has a windows front end, so our usual system is a 386 running
>sco xenix 386 connected to a network of 286 systems running windows
>under msdos.  On the xenix system, we run xenix-net on top of excelan
>lan workplace for xenix.  On the msdos systems, we have the excelan
>package for msdos.  All of the database building is done on the xenix
>system.  The msdos systems are clients, and they only read a few files
>on the xenix disk.  In fact, the msdos programs don't even know that they
>are running over a network.
>
>Basically, all I need is some way to view the xenix disk as a drive letter
>under msdos (something like 'net use').
>
>I have two problems:
>1) Excelan no longer sells anything for xenix.
>2) We have a novell network with a dedicated 386 server and about 40 286 nodes
>that we use to run another windows based package that we want to run at the
>same time we are running our database program so we can exchange data
>between them.
>
>What packages do I need to make this work?

I have a similar situation.  We use Excelan's LAN Workplace both for DOS
and for XENIX.  We only load the Netware drivers when necessary.  Generally
we just live in the HostShare (net use) world.  If you can't deal with the
LANworkplace for DOS (slow, no longer supported) you'll have to look for
something to work under Netware.  I only know of two "solutions".  One
is CoCoNET from Atlantix.  It loads a TSR under DOS to access the XENIX
box, I believe (too bad).  Another solution would be a version of portable
Netware to run under some UNIX machine (I doubt it will ever be available
for XENIX, but probably soon for some AT&T 386 UNIX).  Finally, you
might consider using something like a SQL server to hold the
database.  You could use a database supporting SQL under XENIX (there are
several) and one under DOS (Paradox, for instance).  This, I think, is the
cleanest solution, but ONLY allows SQL databases to be shared between UNIX/
XENIX and DOS.

Keep us posted as to what you do.

Chris Hapgood		<@Virginia.EDU, at smarine.uucp:cch0241 at medusa>
2111 Michie Drive #100		...!uucp!virginia!smarine!medusa!cch0241
Charlottesville, VA  22901
H:(804) 977-8345 W:(804) 974-2584