Non-destructive backspace

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Dec 10 02:51:00 AEST 1990

In article <4443 at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> jak at sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Jay A. Konigsberg) writes:

| Termcap is the wrong place to look for this problem.
|
| The action of the backspace key is controlled by "stty".
|
| Enter: stty erase "^H"
|
| in your /etc/profile. Note: if you use vi, the sequence will be
| 			    stty erase "^V^H"

  Not a good way to do it, with the control character embedded. Instead
the following may be used, which also avoids a problem with use of ^ in
sh.

	stty erase '\^H' echoe
                     |     |_ this forces the character to be erased
                     |_______ three characters, *not* cntl-H

  I think the key is the need for echoe.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)