unattended cpio backup script

Mark Citron mcitron at phad.hsc.usc.edu
Thu Dec 13 10:25:06 AEST 1990

I am running SCO Unix 3.2.0.
I have abandoned doing unattended tar backups of my user's
files in favor of cpio backups (which I hope will be kinder on my
tape drive - it seems to hang often with tar). I was planning to use:

find . -print | cpio -ocvB -K149000 > /dev/rct0 2> /usr/lbin/cpioback.log

which will be started by crontab and which will produce a log of the
backup that went on the night before.
I can then peruse the log the next day and make sure everything went OK
(or write a script to do that for me, daily).

Do I have this backup script correct? Anything you would add?

Any comments or suggestions would be welcome.

--
Mark Citron
mark at neurosci.usc.edu