need URGENT help with SCO UNIX TCP/IP - please

Ralf Holighaus ralfi at pemstgt.PEM-Stuttgart.de
Sun Dec 2 23:45:10 AEST 1990

schweigl at edvvie.at (Johnny Schweigl) writes:

>Error:
>	After entering userid and passwd (telnet session is ok) SCO UNIX
>	responds with "Cannot obtain database information on this terminal".
>	when logging on as root on /dev/console, the system tells me that
>	"The security databases are corrupt". No new logins are allowed after
>	this error had occured.
>	The error seems to have no systematic behaviour. It appears at random
>	points in time, with 3 telnet sessions or 20, or something like that.

>Possible sources of error:
>	Someone modified /etc/passwd manually. System will be reinstalled
>	completely this weekend. If this was the only problem, shouldn't the
>	error occur permanently? Quite contrary, it is not reproducible.

Do you have any software installed on your system which maybe changes
either /etc/passwd or /etc/group directly? We had a problem with some database
software which behaved like that and therefore had to reinstall the entire
system!

Rgds
Ralf
--
Programmentwicklung fuer    Microcomputer |         Ralf U. Holighaus
PO-Box 810165        Vaihinger Strasse 49 |         >> PEM Support <<