Do I really need to BREAK to change baud rates?

Ken Abrams kabra437 at pallas.athenanet.com
Thu Dec 27 07:31:17 AEST 1990

In article <NELSON.90Dec24233400 at image.clarkson.edu> nelson at clutx.clarkson.edu (aka NELSON at CLUTX.BITNET) writes:

>   ->Is there a way to convince the tty2A driver to automagically
>   ->change baud rates on Xenix 2.3.2?  My boss just found out that
>   ->you have to send a break, and he's not happy about it.  Is there
>   ->some configuration option I haven't found, or is there an
>   ->alternative tty driver?
>
>The problem is that I get random users calling into the BBS, and it's not
>practical to tell them that they have to press break, nor can I suggest
>that they get a 2400 baud modem.  My boss is on my case about it because

As usual, having the whole story might change the answer (opinion) that
one receives back.

There IS an alternative hardware solution.  Replace the modem at the host
with one that is buffered so you can set the Xenix baud rate at a fixed
value and leave it there.  There are a lot of 2400 MNP modems on the
market that use a fixed baud rate of 9600.  There are also several 9600
models that use a fixed rate of 19,200 or 38,400.  The latter is probably
your best long term solution but will set you back a few more bucks.
The USR Dual Standard and Hayes Ultra come to mind (and they both are
in the $700 -> $1K price range) but there are others too.  This solution
allows the host to always use a fixed rate in talking to the modem and
the modem negotiates the final (actual) baud rate with the device at the
far end.  If your application is for general public access BBS service,
the USR modems seem to the most popular (and they offer a special
price break for BBS operators).

Ken Abrams                     uunet!pallas!kabra437
Illinois Bell                  kabra437 at athenanet.com
Springfield                    (voice) 217-753-7965