Resident libraries on Xenix 2.3

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Mon Dec 31 05:23:13 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec25.051017.3149 at bbt.se> pgd at bbt.se writes:
>Is there any "supported" way of making and using resident libraries on
>Xenix? As far as I can see, the executable has to be a coff file.

You mean the shared libraries, I assume.  And the answer is:  no and yes.
No, because the OMF/x.out formats do not (currently?) support shared
libraries.  The libraries are there because 2.3 was intended to run COFF
binaries, and at least some of those needed the shared libraries.  Just the
shared libraries, though, not the stubs (/lib/libc_s.a, for example) needed
to create binaries which use the shared libraries (/shlib/libc_s, for
example).

>There is a switch "-coff" to cc, but it does not seem to do anything.
>A "strings /bin/cc" also reveils "/usr/bin/cvtcoff", but that program
>is missing.

The -coff switch, and the cvtcoff program (although what you want is
cvtomf), are for the UNIX devsys.  cvtomf converts an OMF file to COFF, and
cvtcoff does the opposite (both have their limitations; cvtomf is intended
to only be used by the compiler, and cvtcoff is only intended to be used by
cv).  Under Xenix, the -coff switch is ignored, since it is not possible to
generate COFF binaries.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."