Windows 3 from ODT-DOS

Wim Rijnsburger wim at ecn.nl
Mon Dec 10 20:27:49 AEST 1990

When I run Windows3.0 from Open Desktop DOS, it is in real mode. Does
anyone know if there is a way to start Windows3.0 in 386 enhanced mode
or standard mode within SCO Unix? It seems impossible to me, because
dosadmin does not allow more than 640kbyte for DOS applications.

However, conform the documentation of ODT-DOS, I tried to use Expanded
Memory with 'dos +aems', but Windows still can not use it.

Further, I should like to know why the 'DOS Prompt' application in the
Main group cannot be started. When I double click on its icon, I get a
popup message, complaining about insufficient memory. The About... box
tells me that I have 306k free memory.  Is that not enough? I do not
get this problem, when I boot directly from the DOS partition and start
Windows3.0 in real mode!

Wim.

---------- Netherlands Energy Research Foundation, ECN --------------
Wim Rijnsburger                          email: RIJNSBURGER at ECN.NL
P.O. Box 1, 1755 ZG  Petten, Holland     phone: +31 2246 4673