Upgrading a system

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Dec 10 03:11:24 AEST 1990

  I have run Segate drives for four years, the last wo years RLL. Any
drive manufacturer has some drives which last forever, and some which
die relatively young. I think there's a year warrantee, and those which
live that long usually are solid.

  I also am now running a bunch of refurb Maxtor drives. There are not
rebuilt used, but failed QC once and corrected. I have been paying $899
for the 320MB drives. They only have a 90 day warrantee, so you have to
have faith in statistics (if it runs that long it should run years), but
they are great for the money.

  I really like the CompuAdd ESDI controller, not because of the cache,
although that's nice, but because they work well. We have a bunch at work.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX