Xenix files..

Ronald S H Khoo ronald at robobar.co.uk
Mon Dec 31 11:56:02 AEST 1990

sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:

> If you wait a while, you will probably be able to get gcc and the
> GNU libc, but they are not both available yet.

Someone once posted a Xenix system call library, and there's Earl Chew's
stdio, and lots of fragments to replace most of the unix libc.a
scattered about the net (especially in the BSD directory on uunet :-)

I think that's enough to do *lots* of real development with :-)

> GNU libc, but they are not both available yet.  (And, of course, you'd need
> an OMF linker, which GNU doesn't support, I believe.)

But he *does* have /bin/ld as part of his LINK KIT in the OS dist, and I
don't think there's *anything* SCO can do to stop him using it for
purposes other than what it was distributed to him for.

/bin/adb is hidden inside one of the OS dist diskettes as well (for patching
the kernel with) and GDB has been ported to Xenix.

As for ar and ranlib, well, there's /tmp/b1 and /tmp/b2 in various SLS
diskettes (like xnx 155b, for example?) but I recommend Steve's
Xenix ranlib in the comp.sources.misc archives -- it doesn't choke on
long identifiers the way SCO's does -- essential for G++ users.
Again, what's to stop people using the programs they can get for
purposes other than the intended ones ?

So I think you *gotta* admit that you *can* get enough of a development
system for free.  Perhaps someone ought to sit down and integrate this
whole thing -- I haven't time.  Anyway, the very idea of a Unix without
compiler is ridiculous.  But then, so's the idea of Unix without source.

Comments, Mr. Fagan ? :-)
--
ronald at robobar.co.uk +44 81 991 1142 (O) +44 71 229 7741 (H)