'VP/ix' locking; Hangup doesn't kill process

Stephen J. Walick steve at nshore.uucp
Wed Dec 5 23:38:32 AEST 1990

As quoted from <74 at gdx.UUCP> by jay at gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder):

+---------------
| >In article <69 at gdx.UUCP> jay at gdx.UUCP (Jay A. Snyder) writes:
| >%When a serial port login, either modem or direct connect hangs up, the
| >%login hangs around for the next caller.  A HUP signal doesn't seem to
| >%be generated.
| >
| >Set your stty settings to : stty hupcl < /dev/tty*
|
| I already did.  The programs are not even getting the hangup signal.
| If I user is in VP/ix and hangs up, the VP/ix remains, yet a kill -1
| (hangup signal) on the process makes it exit.
+---------------

Now that you have introduced the fact that the user is disconnecting
while *in* 'VP/ix', this problem is also very much present on my sys-
tem and two others that I know about.  One of us says that he has even
contacted 'SCO' saying there is nothing that can be done about this at
the present time.  All three of us have had to request that no one dis-
connect from 'VP/ix';  that they come out of 'VP/ix' and then "logout".
Because so many would *not* listen to our requests, we had to change
permissions on 'VP/ix' to make it inaccessable to our dial-in users.
Unfortunately, that's the only cure that the three of us could come up
with until this "bug" is fixed by 'SCO'.

Regards....  Steve Walick

--

Stephen J. Walick, Asst Sysop of the  < XBBS >  program  at  NCoast.ORG
{uunet|backnone}!nshore!steve                         steve at nshore.uucp