tcp/ip additions for SCO Xenix

Lance N. Antrim lance at embassy.nsi.com
Mon Dec 17 04:13:53 AEST 1990

I am trying to use my Xenix 386 system as a server and connection to the
net for Macs and PCs in my office.  I have the SCO tcp/ip system and
streams installed, and it seems to work (I haven't set up snedmail yet).
I would like some guidance regarding expansion of the capability of my
Xenix system.

1.  I would like to run nntp and POP2 or POP3.  Probably also Smail 3.1
    I have only located the sources to Smail 3.1 and nntp.  Any ideas
    where I can get a version of the post office protocol?

2.  Will I have to get the tcp/ip development kit to get the nntp, Smail
    POP protocols up and running?  (Are there compiled versions of these
    available for xenix somewhere?)

3.  Is the additional cost of the development kit worth the cost, or
    should I say the money and use it, in part, to replace Xenix with
    another version of Xenix 386.

4.  Connecting SCO's telnet for xenix to a Mac running NCSA telenet or
    Mac/ip has a high failure rate (about 1 connection out of 10 tries).
    From an earlier posting it appears that the fault is in the Xenix
    implementation of telnet (particularly since ftp, finger and whois
    all work).  I don't know if the same problem occurs for SCO Unix and
    ODT.  Does anyone have a fix for this?

Thanks,
Lance
lance at nsi.com