Serious flaws in

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.uucp
Wed Dec 19 01:31:55 AEST 1990

wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) writes:
harald at boink.UUCP (Harald Milne) writes:
>>Conclusion: SIO is broken, and broken bad enough to crash your system.
>>Don't use SIO with dumb serial cards.
>
>Hmmmm....  I do asynchronous communications like most people
>breathe...  pretty often. [...]

Likewise.  I have been putting SCO on 286 machines (from ATs to
no-names) since 2.1.3 (circa 1985) and have never had a panic caused by
SIO.  I've used generic single-port "COM2:" cards and dumb 4-port cards
from Arnet, DigiBoard and AST.  These have been running in production
machines without incident for several years.  My shop still installs at
least one 286 Xenix machine per month (running 2.3.2).  We would not be
in business if the SIO caused machines to crash and burn.

I suggest that harold at boink investigate possible hardware problems.

--
Dave Hammond
daveh at marob.masa.com