What's the latest XENIX version?

Karl-P. Huestegge karl at robot.in-berlin.de
Fri Dec 14 16:27:10 AEST 1990

ra at intsys.no (Robert Andersson) writes:

>I just purchased this second-hand:
>SCO XENIX OS         2.3.2
>SCO XENIX Dev.sys.   2.3.0
>SCO VP/IX            1.1.0

>I wanted to upgrade to the latest versions, and get online documentation,
>so I called the Norwegian XENIX distributor.  They told me:
>2.3.2 is the latest OS version.
>2.3.0 is the latest Dev.sys. version.
>1.2.0 is latest VP/IX version, upgrade cost is $260.
>You cannot get online manuals for XENIX 2.3.

>Surely this must be wrong, I thought that:
>2.3.3 is the latest OS version.  Or can I simply get the SCO support level
>      supplement xnx155b?  Is 2.3.2 + xnx155b = 2.3.3?
>2.3.1 is the latest Dev.sys version, with lng244 a recommended SLS patch.
>The text processing system is at the 2.3 level and contains online manuals.
>Am I right?  Is the distributor right?

Both are right ;-)

The OS 2.3.3 is more a 'virtual' release number.
You buy the 2.3.2 OS  plus VP/ix. Then You apply the Vp/ix Update A
and get OS 2.3.3.
You can't buy an OS package labeled 2.3.3.

I upgraded my DevSys 2.3.1 with lng095 to upgrade the non-ANSI 386 MSC
Compiler to ANSI-C ver 5.1. I don't know lng244.

The Text package is ver 2.3.0 and includes the man pages and nroff/troff.

Since you live in Europe you should also get the International OS and
DevSys Supplement so you can write smoerbroed in vi and say
'while (str="smoerbroed") putc(toupper(*str));' in you c programs.

Hope this helps.

Karl-Peter Huestegge                       karl at robot.in-berlin.de
Berlin Friedenau                           ..unido!fub!geminix!robot!karl