How do you format a dc2120 tape?

John Lawitzke jhl at frith.uucp
Thu Oct 4 03:05:22 AEST 1990

>From article <1990Oct2.194856.28382 at d.cs.okstate.edu>, by klarich at d.cs.okstate.edu (KLARICH TERRY JAME):
>
> Does any one know how to tell the tape (c) command that it is actually
> formatting a dc2120 tape instead of a dc2000?  I normally type "tape -f
> format".  I can't seem to get more on the dc2120 tapes than 40 MB.

What tape drive and operating system are you using?

I've found that DC2120 tapes don't work on the Archive 5580 drive under
SCO Xenix 2.32 using sls118 from SCO. Formats seem to hang. When using
a preformatted DC2120, during a write it hangs after writing about 5MB.
It seems almost as if the driver is hard coded only for DC2080 tapes and
is getting to where it expects to find end of tape holes to go onto
the next track but is not finding them on the DC2120.

On a similar note, does anyone know where to buy preformatted DC2080
tapes? I've gotten them from Archive, but they cost too much there. 3M
has preformatted DC2080 that they call 'rhomat' format. They do not work
on the configuration listed above. They act like an unformatted tape.
Does anyone know what 'rhomat' is and does it differ from 'QIC-80'?

--
j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl at frith.egr.msu.edu