No lp1 without lp0

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sat Oct 6 15:48:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct4.192135.178 at cstreet.com> john at cstreet.COM (John Poplett) writes:
>Is it a known characteristic of Xenix that lp1 (the secondary
>printer port at I/O port address 0x278) won't be recognized if the
>primary printer port (at I/O port address 0x378) is disabled
>or nonexistent? Is there a good reason for this behavior?

Yes it's a known behaviour.   The first printer is always lp0 OR
lp1.   The second printer is always LP2.

It's lp0 on the color adaptor and lp1 on the monochrome.

Look in the Fine Manual under LP(HW)

and I quote
"Only one of lp0 and lp1 may be used on a given system.  To access
two parallel printers on a system, use either lp0 or lp1 and lp2.

>It caused me a few hours of grief when I switched to a color
>monitor as the the primary port was enabled on the monochrome
>display adapter. Once it was removed and the primary port with
>it, the secondary address, which I used as the default for the
>lp spooler, disappeared.

>The documentation, e.g. the sections "parallel" and "lp" in HW
>and the section in the Administrator's Guide "Using Printers"
>don't seem to mention it (indeed, they imply that lp1 should be
>available regardless of the status of lp0).

is in the manual.  It is lp2 that is ALWAYS available.  Dont thinkg
of the printers as lp, lp0 and lp1, they are lp0, lp1 and lp2.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP