Calling out on a modem...

Rob Healey rhealey at digibd.com
Sat Oct 6 03:32:32 AEST 1990

In article <13261 at ists.ists.ca> aronb at gkcl.UUCP (Aron Burns) writes:
>In article <91 at mq.COM> alan at mq.COM (Alan H. Mintz) writes:
>>In article <2417 at gmuvax2.gmu.edu>, jnorman at gmuvax2.gmu.edu (Sci-Fi) writes:
>>> I recently became root on a 386 Xenix system with a DigiBoard
>>> installed...   (added 8 com ports)...   They work fine as incoming
>>> lines,  but if I try to call out on them, I either get errors, or loss
>>> the Term Ready signal on the modem...   So comes the question...
>>> How do I configure a port for calling out or, better yet, calling out
>>> and receiving calls?

	OK, I'm NOT in Tech support but I do use our SCO 386 Xenix
	system which happens to use our 8 port products, amongst others.

	First, enable the modem control port, say ttyA01, in /etc/ttys.
	this should allow dialins.

	Second, edit /usr/lib/uucp/Devices to define the modem control
	device for each modem say:
	ACU ttyA01 - 2400 mt \D

	Third, set up a proper dialer script in /usr/lib/uucp/Dailers. Say:
	mt	=,-,	"" \r\pAT&e0\r\c OK ATDT\T\r\c CONNECT

	NOTE: This is for a MultiTech V32 modem, your script should do
	the right thing for your particular modem.

	Add an entry similar to the below to the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file:
	biggie Any,10 ACU 2400 1234567 in:--in:--in: feedme sword: lotsOnews

	Now you should be able to cu or uucp to biggie on ttyA01.
	Logins on ttyA01 should work as well. I've dialed in and out of our
	system many times a day with a setup like above, it SHOULD work for
	you too. The above should also work on our concentrator line as well.

	Also, you should check your modem's setup VERY carefully to make sure
	all it's registers are set up properly. I know I had to putts with
	my Telebit T2500 for a while before I could get it to do the right
	thing.

	If your modem is capable of doing it, you should set
	the computer<->modem baud rate to the highest the modem can handle
	and tell the modem to use hardware flow control. This will give
	you the best throughput possible no matter what baud rate the person
	calls in at or you dial out at. Please note that you should set up
	your modem to autobaud on the incomming phone line but lock the
	computer<->modem interface at high speed.

	Finally, check to make sure the cable between the computer and
	modem is wired correctly for modem control signals.

	If you have any more problems, call Tech Support. That's why we have
	them, to help out our customers.

		-Rob Healey

		Engineering staff
		DigiBoard Inc.