Looking for board to do Burroughs poll-select

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sat Oct 6 16:02:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Oct4.205709.5571 at holos0.uucp> wdh at holos0.uucp (Weaver Hickerson) writes:

>Does anybody know of a board that will do poll-select protocol conversion?
>The board should be configurable as to the characteristics of the
>poll-select port, and convert outgoing data to poll-select, incoming data
>from poll-select.  It should also handle sync or async, up to 9600bps.
>
>Of course, I'd need to be able to give/get data to it by some method, either
>a driver, DMA, whatever...

Well you didn't exactly say what you needed to do, but ICC (who makes
external devices too) has an internal board.

Actually they have different boards.  We have a flock of them that sit in
PC's and do protocol conversion and drivers exist for it.

If you need a board for Xenix (I assume as such since it is posted here)
I just got a board to try out that will install in an AT bus based SCO
Xenix 2.3.2 system, and allow terminals in vt100 mode to talk to Xenix or
talk to the Burroughs mainframe.

The problem is I don't know whether it works or not.  I have the updates to
SCO 2.3.2 for the '286 box that would be the test (all the '386s are MCA
architecture).

But we used Maynard Maystream tape drives.   And Maynard only supports 2.2.3
Xenix on the '286 boxes, and the board only works on 2.3.2.
And I keep placing calls, asking when they might have drivers available,
And I get NO calls returned. From now on I'll not recommend or buy any
tape drives that aren't supported by the OS itself.

If and when we get tape drive drivers, I can get the board on evaluation.
I don't have the address with me but if you (or anyone else) would like to
call me for the information, try me Monday or Wednesday afternoons, 1pm to
6pm, as Seminole Community College, Sanford Fl 407-323-1450 ext 338.

The PC based boards (under DOS) work just fine.  But having the ability for
any terminal to get to the mainframe via the Xenix box would be wonderful.
Saves a lot of money instead of buying dual host terminals.

                      : bill at bilver.UUCP