VP/ix woes

Michael Squires mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu
Tue Oct 9 00:05:01 AEST 1990

In article <4865 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>kirkenda at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steve Kirkendall) writes:
>>Some specific questions: Is VP/ix more reliable under SCO Xenix? Or Interactive
>>UNIX?  Is anybody out there happy with VP/ix?

I ran VP/ix 1.1 under SCO XENIX GT 2.3.2 for a year or so; it worked quite well.
The only application that regularly crashed it was F-19 ( :-) ).  DOS Merge
under ODT does provide a more efficient service (can have more than one DOS
session open without dragging the system down) but it does not run hardware
diagnostic programs as easily.  VP/ix will run the PC Magazine benchmark without
crashing, while DOS Merge will not.  On the other hand, for what I do with DOS
DOS Merge is a much better choice as it's more important to me to run mutliple
sessions of well-behaved products than hardware benchmarks.

I did have a DOS boot partition, and almost all DOS files were on that
partition which was read/writable by the DOS session (under VP/ix; that's
automatic with DOS Merge if you create a DOS partition first).
--

Mike Squires (mikes at iuax.cs.indiana.edu) Phn: 812 855 3974 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at iuvax.cs.indiana.edu          546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408