UUX permissions problem HDB --> old L.sys

Bill Irwin bill at twg.bc.ca
Tue Oct 23 16:00:50 AEST 1990

As  many  people  pointed  out  to me through  mail,  I  had  only  given
permission to the remote for "/usr/tmp" and was attempting a uux on files
in the "/tmp" directory.  Thanks to all who replied.  Correcting this has
solved  the uux problem in one direction, running uux on the Altos  Xenix
old uucp system to a remote HDB system is working fine.

However,  there's  a catch (isn't there always a catch?).  I need to  run
uux  in  the  other  direction as well.  Here my  documentation  is  very
scanty.  Thanks to the person who emailed me the man pages for L.cmds and
L.sys.

Following  are the relevant entries in each of the files on the old  UUCP
system, the command I ran, and the LOGFILE entry.

L.cmds
------
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
who
ls
uucp
xqt
uuxqt
ruusend

L.sys
-----
TWG Any tty02 9600 tty5 gin:-EOT-gin:-EOT-gin: ualtos

USERFILE
--------
uucp, /
, /
bill,TWG /tmp /usr/spool/uucppublic
utwg,TWG /tmp /usr/spool/uucppublic
root,Altos /usr/lib/uucp /usr/spool/uucppublic /tmp /usr/spool/uucp

uux command on Altos@@
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

uux "!ls !/tmp > !/tmp/uux-file"

LOGFILE@@
HHHHHHH

root Altos (10/21-13:13) root XQT DENIED (ls /tmp )

I can't even get root on the Altos system allowed to run uux locally, let
alone  remotely!   I have a feeling something is missing from the  L.cmds
file.  Some people suggested that I have a L-cmds and uuxqtcmds files, so
I linked the L.cmds file to them so I have all three.

Is  it  obvious and I'm too thick to see it?  This should be a  piece  of
cake for anyone out there running pre HDB uucp in a flavour used by Altos
Xenix 3.4 who is doing uux, or allowing it to be done.
--
Bill Irwin    -       The Westrheim Group     -    Vancouver, BC, Canada